Garden deer control methods include :
- Odor repellents to treat the area
- Contact repellents to make the plants distasteful
- Ultrasonic repellents
- Noise making devices and other scare devices
- Water spraying devices activated by a motion sensor
- Strobe lights
- Dozens of homemade devices invented by afflicted gardeners everywhere
Few of these approaches work for very long. Deer resistant or deer proof plants hardly exist because there are only a few plants that a hungry deer won't eat.
Deer control in the garden using a sturdy perimeter fence 7-8 feet tall is best, providing 100% deer control for any garden. Other permanent fences also work, like a slanted fence or a blind fence the deer can't see over.
Electric fences around the garden work well to train the deer to stay away if you can get the deer to touch the wire. The problem is the deer will often just jump over the fence without touching it unless the fence is very tall. If it is a baited electric fence, the deer will touch the wire and be trained to stay away whenever they smell the peanut butter or other scent used to bait the fence. The Wireless Deer Fence®
works like a baited electric fence, but there are no wires to deal with.